Wednesday 6 March 2013

A Loss is A Loss

Well this week wasn't the best for weight loss ... I only lost 0.6lbs however, a loss is a loss regardless and I'm happy!  I have been feeling sort of out of control lately with my eating.  I fell off track a little but I am adamant not to let it ruin me. I contacted the SWLC Dietitian  Margeaux and asked for some pointers to get me back on track. 

She gave me some AMAZING information!

First she reminded me that each and every meal & snack needs to contain both protein and fiber and this is DEFINITELY not something I have been doing.

She also told me how many grams of protein & fiber I should be eating each day.  Neither of which I was doing for a while now. She has told me that daily I should be getting anywhere between 100 - 135G of protein a day, this is a struggle for sure.

Margeaux also mentioned that daily my percentages of Carbs, Protein & Fat should be as follows:

Carbs - 45-65%
Protein - 10-35%
Fat - 25-35%

Thanks to MyFitnessPal I am able to make these changes so that I can visually see how I'm doing.

But the one thing that she mentioned to me that I think is wise for EVERYONE trying to lose weight to do is to also keep a written lifestyle journal.  This isn't just what you eat but also a number of other items.  She sent me a template that I have adapted for myself. Here are the questions she told me I should ask myself during each and every meal.



1. WHEN: Indicate the time of day to determine gaps of time between all intakes, beverages included.

2. HOW MUCH: Indicate the amount of the particular food item you ate. Estimate the size (2”x1”x1”), the volume (1/2 cup), the weight (2 oz.) and/or the number of items of that type of food (i.e. 6 pretzels).

3. WHAT KIND: Write down the type of food AND fluid you ate/drank. Be as specific as you can. How was the food cooked? Was it baked, grilled, fried, steamed, or baked? Was it fresh, frozen or canned? If you eat bread, is it white, wheat, whole wheat, rye, honey wheat or multigrain? If you drink milk, it is whole, 2%, 1%, skim, soy, or rice milk? Remember to write down “extras” such as sauces, gravies, salad dressing, mayonnaise, butter, sour cream, sugar and ketchup.

4. ACTIVITY: List any activities you were doing while you were eating (for example, working, watching TV, ironing, and reading).  Be sure to include where, such as the cafeteria at work, your desk, a specific room in the house, etc. If you ate at a restaurant, fast-food chain or your car you should record the location as well. Also detail who you were with.  If you ate by yourself, write “alone”. If you were with friends or family members, list them.

5. HUNGER SCALE:    1 = not hungry   2 = somewhat hungry   3 = moderately hungry   4 = very hungry   5 = starving

6. SATIETY SCALE:  1 = still hungry   2 = slightly full   3 = satisfied/comfortably full   4 = very full   5 = uncomfortably full/stuffed

7. COMMENTS: Write down your mood, thoughts, and feelings while you were eating - for example, sad, happy, bored, stressed and depressed. This is a very good and important way to track your “negative” emotions and triggers.

I am going to make this part of my daily  routine! My friend Jay mentioned in his last blog something that has been sticking with me and I plan to keep reminding myself of it with each and every meal/day/week that goes by.

You can't manage what you don't measure!

Here's hoping that this new addition to my routine will help me shed some more pounds!!






No comments:

Post a Comment