Monday 27 January 2014

30 Days till Due Date

I can not get over how quick this pregnancy has gone.  I have just 30 days left till my due date. I have had such an easy pregnancy with no sickness, no real discomfort until the last few weeks and no medical issues (to date) I do however have one thing that is annoying me, and that is that my doctor is adamant that me being over weight is going to cause me to have gestational diabetes.

Some back history to help explain why I'm so frustrated with this.

I have been checked for normal diabetes my entire life.  Each time they do a blood draw (A1C) my 14 day average for blood sugar levels comes back as 5.1 which is near perfect.  Right at my very first doctors appointment Dr Abel told me to go on Metformin 3 times a day to help regulate my blood sugars (without ever testing me) I did what she asked for a few weeks but noticed if I took all 3 I would get extremely light headed by mid/late afternoon and after getting my blood sugars tested by a friend who is diabetic found out my sugars were dropping too low.  So I cut myself back to 2 a day and still found that they were dropping too low. I slowly stopped taking the Metformin all together and felt amazing.

I was sent for the first gestational diabetes test at 28 weeks and my levels came back at only 4.6 which is fantastic seeing as the cut off is normally 7.8 before you are sent for the longer test so I was very excited to see I was doing fine even without the Metformin.

Sadly at my last appointment (35 weeks) Dr Abel said she wanted me to be sent for the second, longer, glucose tolerance test which is 2hrs in length because she thinks I might have developed Gestational Diabetes late in the pregnancy.   Now she says this without ever doing any other blood tests, just by measuring the size of the baby and my being  over weight in general.  (Also note I had only gained 30lbs by my 35th week of pregnancy which is fantastic seeing as I started out overweight)

I am very frustrated with people stereotyping me because of my weight.  I am in good health 99% of the time.  The medical issues I do have do not have ANYTHING to do with being over weight.  They are issues that would be there whether I was ideal weight or not.

So because of this "stereotyping" I am now heading to get an Ultrasound done tomorrow to see how big Miss Ahnika is getting as well as the 2hr Blood Glucose tolerance test on Wed morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment