Monday 10 March 2014

Introducing Ahnika Mae Adams!!

Now that I have a few minutes to sit down I would like to introduce my new little girl Ahnika Mae.  Her birth story was definitely not one I ever thought I would experience but here it is.

On Wednesday March 5 I was scheduled for a gel induction at 8:30am so Colin and I got to the hospital at 8am and I was feeling no difference than my last doctors appointment which was March 3.  At the last doctors appointment I was 1cm dilated but the baby had actually moved back up instead of down. 

At the hospital on March 5 I got checked right away and was told I actually dilated to 3cm and the baby had dropped for sure. They said let's forget the gel and instead start pitocin drip. I was surprised that we would go to that right away mainly because I had my self worked up to get gelled and then have 6hours before anything else was decided.  At 10am they started me an the drip and almost immediately I started to feel the pressure of the first contractions, however, they were definitely not hard to deal with at all.  They were coming regularly  but I was able to talk through them all without any real issue.  Sadly because I was on the drip I was also hooked up to monitors all the time and unable to do anything except stay in bed.  By noon my contractions were one right on top of the other without much of a break to be seen.  But the nurses were not happy with how the read out looked and checked me.  I hadn't dilated any further.  They left me on the drip for another 2 hours and the doctor showed up and said she didn't like the look of the read outs either and although I was contracting regularly our little miss was not tolerating them very well.   

She went ahead and decided to break my water. I was so shocked at the drastic change in my contractions.  They went from pressure only and even though it was constant I was tolerating it to constant pain.  I was getting no breaks at all and the pain just kept getting worse and worse.  At 3:30 the doctor came back, checked and still didn't like the look of the baby's readout nor the fact that I still hadn't dilated any further so said she was sorry but we would have to start the process of a c-section for the safety of myself and the baby.

By 4:50pm I was in the OR with my spinal being put in.  I was so relieved to not feel the contractions any more I ended up getting pretty emotional.  DH was brought in and he sat down and within 5 minutes miss Ahnika Mae was born.  I didn't even realize what was happening until they brought her over all bundled up.  The precious look on my husbands face when he looked at our beautiful little girl was worth everything I had been through that day. 

Although we did not expect the c-section it was definitely well worth it.  I did not have a traditional section though because I have had previous surgeries.  So instead of the horizontal incision done I was given a vertical incision and I have to say I have had almost ZERO pain from it. I would have been released from the hospital on Saturday, however, our little miss had a slight case of jaundice so we were not discharged until Sunday March 9.

So I am finally home with my amazing family. Ahnika Mae was born at 5:20pm March 5th weighing 7lbs 11.8oz and measuring 20 inches long.  She did lose 10oz of weight while in the hospital but she is slowly going back up.  WE LOVE HER TO PIECES!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment