Wednesday 26 September 2012

Surgery Was A Breeze

Well here is how surgery day went for me!

I slept horribly the night before because I was scared I would sleep too late and miss the surgery.  I finally gave up sleeping completely around 5:30.

 5:30 - Got up and showered.
 7:00 -  Went downstairs with Colin so he could have breakfast and I could take my pre-op meds (just some pain relievers to help after the surgery)
7:40 - Got a cab to the clinic because we were told to be there by 8:20 (1 hour before surgery)
8:20 - Checked in but they were running behind so I didn't go upstairs to the Or Prep room for almost an hour, however, we were brought to a room for about 15 minutes to get weighed (down to 336lbs ... that's a 28 lb loss before surgery)
9:20 or so - Upstairs and talked to a few nurses, changed into my johnny shirt (wow they really think of everything too) The Johnny Shirt could have fit me and about 5 other people. I wasn't expecting that.  I sat in a bit leather chair reading the new Lap-Band Solution book they gave me and waited.
10 or so - Dr Cobourn came in to see me and ask how I was feeling about the day.  Another nurse came in and took my blood pressure height etc Then the anesthesiologist came in and explained everything that would happen the minute I got on the operating table.
No Idea what the time is now - Walked to the OR, got on the table and everything starts to get blurry from here.  One nurse wrapped my legs in massage blankets, the anesthesiologist put my IV in (which was the one thing I was terrified about and I still don't like it no matter how good he was) Within seconds of the IV the lights started to get fuzzy around me, I remember answering just a few more questions and then NADDA.
Between 11:30 and Noon  - Woke up in recovery.  Still had everything hooked up to me but I am not a fan of laying on my back so I asked if I could sit up. I dozed off and on for about 30 minutes and then was ready to get out of there.  They gave me 2 glasses of water to make sure all was well and it was.  I had a sore throat from the tube down my throat so the water was VERY welcome.
1:15 - They unhooked me and brought me down to the same room I was in to check in and Colin was waiting for me.  They explained everything and then gave me a bag of medications to take with me.  Liquid Codeine for pain, GasX strips (like the breathmint strips) to help the gas they pumped into my abdomen go away, liquid tylenol and graval for my flight home.  I was told to only drink water all day and then Thursday I could add in see through liquids like apple juice, chicken broth etc.  Friday I could add in soups, liquid yogurt etc and next Wed I could start purees (YUM)
2:00pm - Back at the hotel I checked in with family and friends, took a does of codeine and attempted to nap which was EXTREMELY difficult trying to find a comfortable spot. Finally did and slept till 4
5:00pm - Colin's cousin Rhonda and her daughter came to visit for a bit.
6:00pm - Colin ordered a pizza for himself and we watched some Harry Potter Special Feature DVDs
8:30 - 9pm - Colin and I were both so tired from the day we fell asleep

1:30 am Thursday - WIDE AWAKE so I'm writing this :D

1 comment:

  1. Busy day!!! Glad everything went smooth! :) I can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete