Wednesday 1 May 2013

Needing to Refocus

I don't know why I feel off track but I do even though I'm losing weight still.  I think its the weather, it makes me feel like I should be doing so much more.  I need to up my walking so I'm sure to be able to do the full Walk for ALS at the end of June. Since the weather is very unpredictable I am going to stick to walking on my treadmill but I really need to do more.  I started a challenge in April to walk 15 miles and I got about 5 in and gave up.  More so because I was so swamped with other things that I just pushed it aside.  I need to stop doing that, I need to make ME a priority no matter how many cakes I have to bake, or what family I have to visit, or how stressful work is.  Walking should be so natural but it is still a struggle for me so I am going to make it a priority. It isn't going to be every day because for me right now that just isn't working, so I am going to walk every second day, no matter how busy I am I will take 30 - 60 minutes out of my day to focus on me. 

I am going to have to try a few things while walking to make it less boring though, whether it be reading my Kobo, watching TV shows on Netflix, or listening to some really good music. I can't just walk aimlessly because I get bored too quickly.  I am the multi-task queen and as such it frustrates me that I can't do other productive things while walking so if I could take my mind off of that by reading, watching a show, or listening to music and focusing on just me it should help.

I did enjoy the Couch to 5K I was doing in April and although I did stop it I think will pick it back up but in a modified form this month.  

I really do need to refocus my priorities to get this done because it is all about my life & health.  On top of wanting to lose weight and become healthier in turn all of these changes will also help me cope with other issues in my life.  On February 4, 2013 I was diagnosed with Multiple sclerosis (MS).  It was a great shock to get this diagnosis, but it was also a relief to know that everything that has been going on the past 8 - 10 years weren't just random occurrences. Although there is no cure for MS it is a disease that many many people life with daily and without major issues.

I haven't had was is known as a "flareup" since my first one in December of 2004 when I lost the sight in my right eye due to Optic Neuritis.  That lasted about 4 - 6 months but I can now see perfectly fine. I have since had a few smaller issues like vertigo and bouts of extreme tiredness, the biggest thing that I was left with was cluster migraines that annoy me more than anything.  They aren't like a normal migraine, instead they are sharp sharp pains, like a knife stabbing me that can last up to about 60 seconds but can end up happening upwards of 50 times a day. 

Losing this excess weight and living a healthier lifestyle will not only make me look/feel better physically but will also help me deal with future "flareups" of my MS. I hope to go another 8+ years before I have a "flareup" and I hope that all of these changes to my lifestyle will help with that!

I got weighed in last evening and lost 0.8lbs bringing my total for weight loss to 76lbs!!! My current weight is 288.4 ... I am 24lbs away from my 100lb loss and I have only 16.2lbs until I am halfway to my final goal!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment